The best way to help prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a number of preventive actions to follow including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses. See the university’s health and safety protocols.
As a way to help members of our Ole Miss Family, the university has established the Rebel Relief Campaign. This campaign supplements existing measures that offer housing and food assistance, academic support and quality health care to every member of the UM community. Visit the Rebel Relief Campaign page for more information on how you can help.
Donations of Personal Protective Equipment
University leaders have been inspired by our community’s willingness to donate personal protective equipment (PPE) or provide equipment and facilities to fabricate PPE to local organizations. In an effort to maximize the effectiveness of the donations, the university has established a Potential PPE Donation Taskforce to help develop an inventory of potential donations and capabilities and to coordinate the donations. Contact Donna Strum, firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.