Editor’s Note: We are sharing this abbreviated version of the COVID-19 newsletter to provide an update on recent developments relevant for the university community. The regular publication of the newsletter will resume Jan. 20, 2021.
Vaccine Update — Persons 65 years of age or older and those 18–64 with underlying medical conditions now eligible
Gov. Tate Reeves and the Mississippi State Department of Health Services (MSDH) announced today (Jan. 12) that the state is now giving COVID-19 immunizations for the following populations:
- All Healthcare Workers and EMTs / paramedics
- NEW — All persons 65 years of age or older
- NEW — Persons 18-64 years of age who have underlying medical conditions (see list below)
Individuals from these groups are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment through one of the following contacts:
- MSDH COVID-19 Vaccination Drive-Through Scheduler application (The site may experience high-volume traffic at this time)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center, 877-978-6453 or 601-965-4071 (Call Center is experiencing high call volume at this time), or
- Local Vaccination Providers
Please note the following items related to COVID-19 immunizations:
- The COVID-19 vaccination is a two-dose series.
- For the Pfizer vaccine, the second dose is due 21 days or after.
- For the Moderna vaccine, the second dose is due 28 days or after.
- The COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are not interchangeable. The second dose in the two-dose series must be the same manufacturer/type of vaccine as the first.
- Please schedule your second dose of COVID-19 vaccine at the same facility in which you received your first dose.
- If you have questions or concerns about the COVID-19 vaccine, please contact 877-978-6453.
Individuals between 18-64 years of age are eligible now if they have any of the following underlying medical conditions:
- Chronic kidney disease
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Down Syndrome
- Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
- Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but < 40 kg/m2)
- Severe Obesity (BMI 40 kg/m2 or greater)
- Sickle cell disease
- Other medical conditions as determined by your medical provider
For additional information, visit the university’s vaccination information page.