Quote of the Day
“While we might feel small, separate, and all alone,
Our people have never been more closely tethered.
The question isn’t if we will weather this unknown,
But how we will weather this unknown together.”
- Excerpted from “The Miracle of Morning” by America’s inaugural Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman. In a performance for “CBS This Morning” at the Los Angeles Central Public Library, she used her voice to give comfort and courage to the nation during the coronavirus pandemic.
Featured FAQ (from Keep Teaching FAQs)
Q: What Google services do students and faculty have access to as part of their GO accounts?
A: Students have access to the complete GSuite for Education by default. Faculty are also able to create go.olemiss.edu accounts and access these resources. Employees may sign up at this link.
Update on Plans for Celebrating our Graduates
Chancellor Glenn Boyce shared an update today with faculty, staff and students about how the university remains committed to doing all it can to honor our graduates in person when it is safe for us to come together as a university community. He also shared details about how the university will celebrate graduates including a live, virtual event on Saturday, May 9. Chancellor Boyce emphasized that the May 9 event is not intended to replace an in-person ceremony. Read the entire message for additional details.
UM’s Free Communiversity Offerings for this Week
UM’s Communiversity program continues to offer free non-credit classes to support and encourage the Ole Miss and Oxford communities. All courses are offered online through Zoom. Register for these free online courses.
- If the spring showers and sunshine afternoons have you dreaming of starting a garden, you will want to join Sarah Rucker for “Beginning Gardening” starting this Friday, April 24 at 1 p.m. The class will meet for four weeks with different topics each week.
- Spring cleaning may have you wanting to spruce up around the house. You can learn more about bringing new life to an old piece of furniture during the “Chalk It Up” class being held on Friday, April 24 at 3 p.m. Griffin Stroupe will teach you tips for creating your own chalk paint, waxing, and distressing to make a brand-new focal point for your home.
Other Things to Know
- April 21: Yazoo City, Wardell Leach Recreational Complex
- April 21: Winona, Winona Recreation and Park
- April 22: Richton, Perry Co. Multi-Purpose Center
- April 22: Port Gibson, Claiborne Co. Parks and Rec.
- April 23: Jackson, Tougaloo Owens Health and Wellness Center
- April 23: Tylertown, Walthall Co. Events Center
- April 24: DeKalb, Kemper Co. High School
- John Krasinski released the fourth episode of “Some Good News.”
- Jimmy Fallon & The Roots perform “Safety Dance” with first responders
- Messages of hope, gratitude and safety replace ads in Times Square
- Walt Disney World is adding videos of ride experiences from its theme parks to its Instagram page to give users a digital theme park experience.